Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Definition

Noun 1. EMPTY NESTER - a parent whose children have grown up and left home.
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2008 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.

It's always nice to be part of a group, isn't it?
In my 51 years on this planet I have been a member of any number of groups and orgnizations, among them: The First-Time Parents Club, The One-Child Group, The Over 30 Clan, then the Over 40 and 50 - well, you get the idea. I have been a leading member of the Room-Mom Organization, The Car Pool Club, The PTA, Jaycees, CYO, RNC... I could go, but it's too tiring!

This new group I'm now in - THe Empty Nesters - is a group of a different kettle from any of the others I've been involved with. This one demanded my attendance. Saying "no" to joining was not an option. Membership was thrust upon me whether I wanted to be a member or not. I became a full fledged card caring member the day my little girl graduated from college and started a life of her own. Now you could argue that I've been a pseudo-empty nester for the past 4 years while she was in college: the house was empty during the semester, giving me a preview of what life would be like after graduation. But the key difference was that the semester always ended and my little girl always came home.
Not any more.
College graduation brought with it job and life changing opportunities that pretty much guarantees her bed here at home will not be used much ( if at all) during the future.
So now I must learn what the next chapter of my life is going to read like. No longer will there be school bake sales, fundraisers, plays and programs to keep me occupied. Gone are the school vacation family trips to plan for and then scrapbook in minute, painstaking detail.
College Commencement may be catagorized as a beginning for the Graduates, as their adult lives and careers start for them. But it is an end point for the parent of the graduate. As it is for me.
So, what lies ahead? What can I expect will happen during this next phase of my life?
It's unchartered territory for me. Scary, mixed with a tad of potentially exciting.
We'll explore this time together and see what develops. Along the way we may learn a few things, figure out a few puzzles and discover some answers to life's riddles. Who knows: we may even have some fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment